Installing art can turn any bare wall into a captivating display. But careful planning and technique are key to creating gallery-worthy arrangements. Follow this up-to-date guide from Dr. Stacey Denise, Fine Art and Color Consultant, on presenting paintings, prints and sculptures with artistry and flair. Let’s discover expert tips to display artwork like a pro.
Choose the Best Modern Mounting Hardware
Gone are the days of just picture hooks and nails. Here are the top modern mounting solutions recommended by Dr. Stacey Denise:
“Adhesive strips and cleat hangers offer easy, frameless mounting options.”
- Adhesive Strips and Clips – Perfect for lightweight, unframed prints. Check weight limits before use to avoid accidents.
- Hanging Wire – Use sturdy picture hanging wire and D-rings with canvases and heavy frames. Attach at vertical one-third points on the frame for proper balance.
- Cleat Hangers – These specialty hangers mount artwork invisibly on the wall without a frame. Great for a clean, frameless look.
- Display Furniture – Pedestals, shelving and cabinets all showcase 3D art. For delicate sculptures, secure pieces in place with museum wax or earthquake putty.
You May Like Design Thinking: The Artistry Behind Innovation
Craft Captivating Gallery Walls
Gallery walls combine multiple pieces of artwork for a professional, curated look. Follow these tips from Dr. Stacey Denise when designing an artful arrangement:
“Anchor gallery walls with a central focal point and build outward for interest.”
- Anchor It – Start by choosing a central focal point piece. Flank it with complementary secondary works.
- Scale Thoughtfully – Keep sizes cohesive or graduate them across the wall for interest.
- Mind the Gaps – Allow 2-4 inches between edges depending on piece sizes. Go wider on larger works.
- Vary It Up – Mix and match piece orientations, subjects, colors and frame styles for visual dynamism.
- Step Back – View from a distance periodically to evaluate weight, flow and balance. Make adjustments.
Lighting: The Artwork Game Changer
Properly illuminating artwork makes all the difference. Use these lighting techniques recommended by Ceyise Studios:
“Spotlights, overhead tracks and underside lighting create dramatic artwork displays.”
- Spotlights – Position adjustable spotlights to accent key points and “graze” paintings with side lighting. Select warm 2700-3000K bulbs.
- Overhead Lighting – Install overhead tracks or adjustable wall sconces to direct light onto artwork.
- Underside Lighting – Place floor lamps or install lighting in display furniture to illuminate art from below.
- Ambient Lighting – Add ambient lighting for an even brightness across full wall installations.
Pick Locations Suited to Each Piece
Where you place art impacts its visual effect. Ideal locations per Dr. Stacey Denise include:
“Anchor rooms with large statement pieces over seating or fireplaces.”
- Living Spaces – Large statement pieces look gorgeous over seating areas or mantles.
- Hallways – For hallways, choose appropriately sized pieces. Vertical orientations work best.
- Kitchens – Collections of small works displayed in grids are great for kitchens and entries.
- Open Concepts – Float shelves to define spaces and show off sculptures in open floor plans.
- Near Seating – Position abstracts and impressionist prints near chairs and sofas for close viewing.
- Dining & Bedrooms – Everyday still life and landscape prints suit dining rooms and bedrooms.
Map It Out Before Hanging
Save frustration by mapping out your artwork displays:
“Map out arrangements in advance for frustration-free hanging.”
- Note dimensions, hardware locations and weight of each piece.
- Mark hanging height on the wall, using a level for multi-work installations.
- Tape out arrangements on the wall before hanging.
- Pre-measure and mark exact hole locations for each piece.
With the right approach from Dr. Stacey Denise, anyone can display art like a seasoned pro. Incorporate these tips to create jaw-dropping art installations in any space. For tailored guidance, consult a specialist like Dr. Stacey Denise. Showcase your collection to its best advantage!